How to measure luggage is one of the essential tasks to know before using luggage. You may have a plan to go for an extended tour next week, and you are planning to buy new luggage. Manufacturers provide luggage measurement, but all the measurement information is not 100% true. Sometimes, they measure only the actual body measurement, and they don’t include the wheels and handle size. When you take the luggage to the airport, security checks the luggage measurement. If the height is over the need, you need to pay an extra fee for this. Also, you need to pay for overweight. In this article, I am going to discuss step by step how to measure luggage.
Why do You Need to Know How to Measure Luggage?
- To avoid unexpected occurrences at the airport that luggage dimension or weight is over from their restriction, you need to know the luggage measurement. It will help to build self-confidence that you have no problem with airline size restrictions.
- If you know the exact luggage dimension and weight, it will efficiently organize your items in the luggage. You will get a clear picture of the total weight and interior size. You will know in advance about the full dimension and weight of the best travel luggage. As a result, you can save an extra fee on the airline.
- You may buy the luggage according to the manufacturers’ provided measurement. Be careful about the manufacturers’ measurements because all the measurements are not 100% true. It may vary due to the measurement way. Sometimes manufacturers provide luggage measurement without calculating the wheels and handle measurement. But airlines check the luggage measurement, including the wheels and handle. So, to avoid this confusion, you need to know how to measure luggage.
Tools that Need to Measure Luggage
There are some tools that you need to measure luggage. Below lists are the most common tools used to measure luggage.
- Measurement tape
- Weight scale machine
- Phone Apps
Measurement tape is the most common tool to use for measuring luggage. You will get the most accurate measurement from it. Alternatively, you can use a steel ruler scale to measure luggage. But this ruler is more challenging than the measurement tape because it is difficult to measure the entire luggage and a small part of luggage by scale.
You can measure the luggage body accurately using the measurement tape. You will get the measurement length control on luggage and easily measure the small part as the handle and wheels.
Weight scale machine is the best tool to know the exact luggage weight. After packing all the items in the luggage, you can take the total weight from the device. So you can easily measure the total luggage weight before leaving for the tour.
If you don’t have the measurement tape or weight machine, you can use a digital app to measure the luggage. But it would help if you kept in mind that this tool is not 100% accurate for how to measure luggage.
How to Check the Airline’s Measurements?
The best way to checking the airline’s measurements is to visit the website of the airline. You will get exact information about the size and weight restrictions for carry-on luggage. So before buying new luggage, you need to check the airline’s size restriction.
But different airlines have different requirements for luggage size and weight. So you can follow the luggage measurement that meets most of the airline’s restrictions. So to know how to measure luggage is the best way to get the exact size.
We suggest you follow the airline’s measurement where you frequently travel. So you will not get any travel using your best travel luggage.
Another important thing about the airline that the unit of measurement. Most airlines use inches or centimeters to measure luggage. So you need to understand what the exact unit is.
Most of the airlines use total measurements like 42 linear inches. So you need to know what it means. 42 inches represents the total luggage measurement. It includes luggage height, width, and depth together.
Step by Step Procedure- How to Measure Luggage
As the airlines provided linear measurement in inches, you should take all the parts (height, width, and depth). And then sum it. You can follow the below steps.
Step 1- Measuring the Luggage Height: All the luggage have not in the same shape. So you need to utilize the luggage shape and take the height from up and down. You need to include the handle height also. But the handle should be an idle stage to reduce the total height of luggage. Also, it should be included in the wheel’s size.
Step2- Measuring the Luggage Width: The easiest way to take the luggage width is to measure it from the left to right side. You need to lay the luggage on a smooth surface and take the measurement using the measuring tape.
Step 3- Measuring the Luggage Depth: You need to take the depth measurement from front to depth. But you need to remember that you should not forget to include the depth with the wheel measurements too.
Step 4- Combining the measurements: Once you have all the parts measurements, you need to sum the measurement. You can follow the role like H+W+D inch. Suppose you have found the measure like height-22 inch width-15 inch and dept-9 inch. Now the linear measurement is 22+15+9=46 inch. So your linear luggage measurement is 46 inches. Following How to measure luggage procedure, you can see where your luggage can meet the airline’s restrictions or not.
Factor consider for Luggage Measurement.
- It would help if you wrote down all the part measurements on a notepad to avoid any mistakes.
- While measuring the height of the luggage, you need to include the luggage handle length too. But should be at the idle stage to get the exact measurement.
- Luggage wheels are not a large part, but this part measurement can create any difficulty at airlines. So you need to add this measurement when you measure the width of the luggage.
What do you think about the article on how to measure luggage? This is the simple way to get the perfect and exact measurement for your luggage.